+385 (0)52 351 300 firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.ami-pula.hr
Augustus Temple and the Forum in Pula
Apart from the temple dedicated to the Capitoline triad on the Roman Forum in Pula, there are two other temples, of which only the Temple of Augustus is visible today.
ForumFind on the map
The Forum, a central square of ancient and medieval Pula is located in the western part of the town. It was built during the 1st century BC on the designated area, with the entire city administration. It followed suit of any other Roman forum housing the temple dedicated to the Capitoline triad of Jupiter, Juno and Minerva. Apart from the central, there were two side temples on the Pula Forum. The Temple of Augustus is the only one fully preserved, while only the back wall of the other one is visible. Said wall was used during the construction of the Town Hall. The second temple identical to the preserved Augustus and built in the same style is called the Temple of Diana. The temple, originally dedicated to the goddess Roma and Emperor Augustus, is a typical temple structure erected between years 2 BC and 14 AD. A simple square edifice consists of a cella, a closed room and an antechamber facing the square, bordered by four columns from the front and the one from its lateral sides. Columns are made from marble with Corinthian capitals. Above the columns and the cella walls is a three-part architrave with a lavishly decorated central part of the wreath above it. On its front side facing the square, the architrave reads ROMAE ET AVGUSTO CAESARI DIVI FILIO PATRI PATRIAE (to Romans and Augustus, the son of divine Caesar, the father of the homeland), used for dating the temple. Above it is a triangle gable with a round medallion. The Temple of Augustus is a wonderful example of the Roman building during the early ages of the Empire. Its decoration reflects the Late Hellenistic influence. In the course of its history, the temple changed its original function. It was used as the Christian church and a grain storehouse. In the 19th century, it was turned in the museum of stone monuments until the bombarding during the WW2, when it was completely destroyed. It was reconstructed from 1945 until 1947, and its lapidarium function restored.