The Holy Trinity Church in Hrastovlje

The interior of the Holy Trinity Church preserves a cycle of late medieval and Renaissance exceptional frescoes, which is also the best well-known cycle in the Slovenian part of Istria.


Find on the map

Audio guide:

+ 386 31 432 231

How to get there:

On the old Koper - Črni kal road, a few km before Črni kal, in Krnica, turn for Predloka, then Brezovica, Podpeč and Hrastovlje, or Koper - Dekani - Rižana - Hrastovlje. Take a car from Koper along the county road to Bertok. Take a left exit on the first


The inner walls and the church can be visited by calling Ms Rozana Rihter, phone + 386 31 432 231 in advance.

The Church of Holy Trinity stands on a small elevation above the village, within the walls built for protection. It was sanctified in 1475. This is a three-nave Renaissance church with a polygonal sanctuary and a bell tower added later to its front. Its naves are divided by two rows of columns topped by a barrel vaulting. Of the three apses only the central one is polygonal and visible from outside, while the southern and northern apses are inscribed. The interior is entirely covered by an exceptional fresco cycle from Istrian medieval times and the Renaissance, the best known in the Slovenian part of Istria. We can say with certainty that the cycle was painted by John from Kastav because of his preserved signature. In the central apse in the conch stands the Throne of Mercy, beneath which lies a row of Apostles below the arches. An unusual scene appears in the northern apse. The three Wise Men are seated on the throne and next to them stand SS. Cosmas and Damian. John from Kastav (Johannes de Castua) signed it and wrote the year of its creation (1490). On the site of the southern apse, above the door, protectors from infectious diseases look upon us: St. Rocco, St. Sebastian and St. Fabian. The arch part of the central nave, above the apse, is adorned with the Coronation of the Virgin. The Annunciation to Mary is to the left and right. In the vault of the central nave are scenes from the Creation of the World made according to etchings of the Dutch graphic artist Master with Scrolls and connected with Pazin frescoes. Months from January to July are painted on the side arches of the southern nave, and August to December on the northern nave which also shows images of years (Annus), time (Tempus) and St. Jerome. All along the northern wall stretches the long procession of the Adoration of the Magi. Herod's Farewell is depicted on the western side, while the cycle of the Passion of Christ covers the western and a part of the southern wall, which bottom part shows a detailed scene of the Dance of Death.