The Menedelein Villa
The Mendelein Villa is a magnificent example of the Viennese Secession. Its architectural appearance is exceptionally attractive due to its tower which is reminiscent of a medieval castle.
After a long period of stagnation, Pula started to develop and expand more intensely in the second half of the 19th c., when it was officially declared the main war-time marine harbour. Along with numerous public structures, the need for constructing residential buildings and houses emerged. They were often built in the style of the Secession, under Italian or Viennese influence. The Menedelein Villa was erected at the time as a clear example of the Viennese Secession. It is a part of the residential structures built for the elite of Pula. The building was designed by architect Johann Pokorni in the early 20th c., in 1903. The Mendelein Villa is located on Verudela. Architecturally, it is extremely attractive. Thanks to its tower, designed from the ground floor to the roof, with a level terrace at its end, the Villa looks like a medieval castle. It consists of a basement, high ground floor and an attic. There is a drawing room, a living room, a dining room, a wardrobe area, and a toilet on the ground floor. The two bedrooms with the terrace, a children's room, and a guest room were located on the first floor. There is another guest room in the attic together with an evening area, laundrette, and the terrace with the pergola. The main house entrance was from the east side. The Mendelein Villa is still encircled by its original cast iron fence.