The Riviera Hotel
The Riviera Hotel was built in 1908 as a Neo-Baroque structure with the Secession decoration. It was known as the most popular hotel in Pula for a number of years.
Splitska ulica 1Find on the map
The Riviera Hotel, once known as the Grand Hotel Riviera was erected on an excellent position, between the Arena, the railway station and the pier. Built in 1908, it was long known as one of the most popular hotels in Pula. Its excellent offer included the Viennese cuisine, the concert hall, the bar, the hairdresser's and postal services as well as other amenities, which guaranteed the arrival of numerous famous names such as Viennese Baron Egon Maratt Stummer, Prince of Lichtenstein or Countess Bathyany. The Neo-Baroque structure with the rich Secession decoration was commissioned by the same investor, Österreichische Riviera, who had the Palace Hotel in Poreč erected in 1910. The main facade of the magnificent building has pronounced corners. Its rich facade decoration has additionally emphasized the building's monumentality. Between the ground and the first floor, along the entire length of the facade, is the balcony. The second and third floors are connected by five semi-columns while the balcony with the stone balustrade is re-introduced between the third and fourth floors. The hotel's corners, as towers, are especially decorated. Each has balconies with four columns added to the first floor. The last floor has an oval window. Above it is a dome rounding up the corner oriel.