The Communal Palace in Piran
The Communal Palace was erected in the 13th c. It has the Romanesque-Gothic facade decorated by numerous crests and burial plates. Its current appearance stems from the late 19th century.
Address:Find on the map
Following the conclusion of the union between Piran and the Venetian Republic in the late 13th century, the decision to build the Communal Palace outside the town walls of that time was made. The structure has the Romanesque-Gothic facade decorated by numerous crests and burial plates. The palace was connected with the loggia by a passage, which was destroyed in 1877, when the entire building was knocked down as well. Only two years later, the Communal Palace got its final, present day appearance. The winged lion with an open book as the symbol of Serenisima as well as the remains of the earlier palace were placed on the main axis of the facade of the new building. Burial monuments with different coats of arms were put in the atrium. They were probably a part of the inventory of the previous palace, which foundations served as a base for erecting the present one.